The President’s representative of Suhum, Mrs Margaret Darko Darkwa and the representative of Suhum in parliament, Hon Frederick Opare-Ansah who doubles as the Chairman of select committee on communications and a representative of Ghana in ECOWAS parliament storms Akorabo zone with developmental projects under the Nana Addo led government in a Town hall meeting which was held on Tuesday 3rd December,2019.
This program is designed to bring to the people, the 2yrs and 6 months sectoral development and also afford opportunities to the people to ask pertinent questions regarding development in their various areas.
Mrs Darkwa took her time with a power point presentation led the public through some achievements which she has been able to execute under her tenure. It was an I saw, it seems as almost all the various areas have gotten it share of the elephant meat.
Some of the achievements include
1. 6 unit classroom block at Suhum Abisim
2. Rehabilitation of 4 unit classroom block at Nankese
3.Construction of 3 unit classroom block with ancillary facilities at Amanhyia
4. Construction of 6 unit classroom block with ancillary facilities at Okanta
5. Construction of 3 Unit classroom block at Adarkwa
6. Construction of 4 unit Teacher’s quarters with mechanized borehole at Zorh
7. Construction of and furnishing of computer center at phi-bita Suhum – ongoing
8. 6 unit classroom block at Nankese Abisim
9. Lands scaping and Repainting at Phi-Bita
10. 100kg Desk at Nankese Abisim
11. 500 Wooden Mono Desk
12. 10 Teacher’s Tables and Chairs
13. 13 rooms canopies for Suhum Presec
14. 3 unit classroom blocks with ancillary facilities at Densuso- ongoing
15. 3 unit JSH classroom blocks with ancillary facilities at Akote – ongoing
16. Ongoing 2-storey dormitory block –Suhum
17. Islamic girls shs
Ongoing 2-storey dormitory block –Suhum
18. Islamic girls shs
0ngiong 6 unit classroom block – SUTESCO
19. Construction of assembly hall complex – SUTESCO
20. Construction of dormitory block – SUTESCO
21. Construction of 2 unit classroom blocks with ancillary facilities – Okonam.
22. Construction of 3 unit classroom blocks with ancillary facilities – Okonam
23. Construction of 6-unit Teachers Quarters with ancillary facilities – Okonam
24. Construction of 6-unit Teachers Quarters with ancillary facilities – Akorabo
25. Construction of 6-unit Teachers Quarters with ancillary facilities – Zorh
1. Conversion of Gari Processing Structure into CHPS Compound at Abesim-Dawa (Roll over)
2. Construction of 1 No. CHPS Compound, Nurses Quarters and Mechanized Borehole at Asarekrom
3. Construction of CHPS Compound, Nurses Quarters and Mechanized Borehole at Kwahyia
4.Construction of CHPS compound at Kwabena Kumi
WATER AND SANITATION
1. Drilling and Installation of Borehole at Yaw Boadi
2. Drilling and Construction of 6 No. Boreholes in Selected Communities i e Kudorvor, Objobi, Tei-Mensah, Brong No. 1, Ayisikrom and Krobom
3. Construction of 20-Unit Water Closets and Mechanized Borehole at Akorabo (Roll Over)
4. Award of Contract for the Drilling of 10 Boreholes in Selected Communities within the Municipality ie Oforikrom, Kumikrom, Trio, Esaase, Nanankrom, Oboadaka, Nsuta Wawase, Kofi Kini, Addo Nkwanta and Koradaso.
5. Construction of 49 No. Modern Toilet Complex with Ancillary Facilities
6. Evacuation of Refuse at Amanhyia and Nankese etc.
1. Connecting 74 communities within the Municipality to the National Grid; 71 Completed, just to mention few of them : Wodekum,Myname koradaso, Anomabo, koransang, Miawani, Gojiase, Tete kaasum, Amanfrom, Ahafi, Atteh, Praprababida, snar, Tei mensah, Krobom, Besease, Kopoanya, Trio, Troto, Kromameng, Gamameng, Betenase, Obonmofo Densua, Adidiso, Supresu -Asarekrom, Kwao Nartey, Wekpeti, Wese, Adzibolo, Abrodiem, Owowase, Nartey Osei, Yaw Boadi, Narteh Anoma, Dedewa Number 1, Dedewa number 2 etc, 3 Ongoing.
2. Installation of 2000 Complete Street Lights in the Municipality.
3. Installation of 3000 No. Household Electricity Company of Ghana Meters
T-junction to Volta house road.
Suhum Township roads has been rehabilitated. 5kilometers include Suhum Presec road (250m), Fire service road (300m), Event park to Station road (300m), Anglican street (800m), Roman Park road (500m), Police station road (200m), Osikani Ankobea road (400m), Zafito road (800m), Municipal assembly road (250m) and Old Chocho road (1300m). The above town roads are ongoing.
Phase 2 will also cover the following roads : Nmgbertsonya road (1200m), Jehovah rapher road (1200m), Nana Kokora 1street (500m), Noma Martey Anoma loop (950m), Cathecist Asare road (500m), Auntie Mary road (800m), Vema city road (250m) and Odei Kofi lane (1100m).
Rehabilitation of Feeder Roads
1. Akorabo to Kofiboafo,Amelia Junction to Kofi Kini – Zorh,Krobom Junction – Esaase,Obretema Township,Niifio – Tei Mensah, Nankese Area Council Roads,Tetteh Nkwanta – Abenabo No. 1 & 2,Brong Densuso to Okoriwa,Tetteh Nkwanta to Maamehyeso,Suhum-Adarkwa, Obootumpan – Supresu , Akorabo – Santrama Zorh – MyName, Nankese- Abisim, Akote – Trio- Kumikrom, Suhum – Kpankpan,Kukua – koransan, Dr Mabel road, Koransang – Abrodiem, Brong Densu – Nkatenkwan etc
2. Emergency Spot Improvement and Sectional Graveling of Final Solid Waste Disposal Site Road at Omenako.
3. Rehabilitation of Selected Roads in Suhum (10km); Scope includes Construction of Drainage Structures and Seal Works on Anglican School Area, Vocational School, Fire Service, Police Station Area, Roman Park, Atta Mills Bypass, Event Park and Amponsah Market and Zerfito Area.
4. Potholes Patching, Resealing and Grading Works in Suhum.
1. Rehabilitation and Furniture of 7 No. Bungalows of the Suhum Municipal Assembly
2. Demolition and Evacuation of Debris of 2-Storey 24-Unit Market Stores.
3. Construction of 3 No. Wooden Footbridges at Gariba Zongo, Ali.
4. Desilting of Suhum River at Sutesco Down through Suhum Government Hospital to Kwasi Kponkpon
5. Construction of 2 No. Boreholes with Hand Pumps at Suhum Ayekotse Zongo and Kotokori Zongo
6. Completion of the Construction of 2-Storey 40-Unit Lockable Stores at the Suhum Main Market (Roll Over)
7. Construction of 40-Unit Open Sheds at Amponsah Market, Suhum (Ongoing)
8. Construction of 3-Storey Market Complex Stores (First Phase – 16 Units) at Amponsah Market, Suhum.
9.Preparation and Demarcation of Space Earmarked for the Temporal Relocation of Amponsah Market at Suhum.
10.Supply of Materials for the Emergency Reconstruction of Dilapidated Wooden Bridge Linking Gateway School to Konfan Community.
Projects with Contracts Awarded yet to be Commenced
1. Construction of Storm Drains at Selected Locations in Suhum Town
2. Reshaping and Spot Improvements of Selected Roads in Suhum
3. Grass Cutting along Selected Roads in Suhum Town
5. Maintenance of Street Lights in Suhum Town
1. Planting for food and jobs
2. Donation of Motorcycles to the Municipal
3.50000 hybrid palm seedlings ( 25000 each at both Akorabo -Zorh and Suhum Okorase )
4.Distribution of subsidized fertilizers to farmers
1. 254 NABCO Workers
2. 150 Youth in Afforestation
3. 102 Community Police Assistant
4. 200 Pruners
5. 350 Spraying Gangs
6. 150 Pollinators
7. 175 Youth in Sanitation
8. 10 Youth in Sports
9. 4 Arabic instructors
10. 1 Paid Internship
1. 120 Masloc beneficiaries
2. 502 benefited from Disability funds
3. 58 students benefited from the local scholarship
1.Vegetable canary at Addonkwanta – soon to be commence.
2. Construction of new cocoa processing plant in Suhum – yet to be commence
After Mrs Darkwa finished with the power point presentation, the public were overwhelmed for such an explicit performance under her administration. She thanked the member of parliament for being an outstanding personality and lobbying projects to be executed within the municipality and even given his share of the common funds to support the assembly in various ways.
The legislator, Hon Opare-Ansah used the opportunity to enlighten the public on key policies such as Free SHS, NABCO, planting for food and jobs, rearing for food and export, strengthening of NHIS, investing huge amounts of money in banking sector to safeguard depositors money etc of the NPP government led by Nana Akuffo Addo. He then advised the public to eschew politicisation of projects being executed by him or the assembly or the government or any other individual. Politicisation of projects will undermine development in our various areas because he as an MP has suffered a lot in the hands of various areas being politicizing his projects and hence those projects were abandoned. He stressed on it and mentioned numerous projects within the enclave which didn’t see any facelift due to politicisation.
He then thanked the MCE for her wonderful achievements within the short space of time as far as development in Suhum municipality is concerned. He stressed that if the 8years of previous MCEs has influenced development in this way, Suhum would have been one of the best municipalities but he hoped Mrs Darkwa shouldn’t relent her efforts and he as MP will still lobby more projects so far as he is the MP for Suhum. He has been really motivated by her administration.
The public asked few questions in which most were geared towards roads, the duo cleared their questions with clarity to their satisfaction and promised them that road network in Suhum will be tackled next year, Suhum will see massive roads infrastructure in the coming year. The public commend them for such insightful education on their achievements.
Bafour Narteh Gadji II, Chief of Akorabo, who was the chairman of the august occasion was really impressed with the MCE and MP’s achievements and advised that, they should not relent on their efforts to develop the municipality but should push for more developments for his people though Akorabo zone has gotten much of the national cake but still need more and also he added his voice to issue of the Suhum -Akorabo road network and several others within the zone.
The well attended Town Hall meeting saw dignitaries like Baffour Narteh Gadji II-Chief of Akorabo, Baffour Adjewinarh – Odikro of Jato, Baffour Narteh Akortia III – Abenabo Chief, Baffour Asare Ayisi – Odikro Kwashia, Nana Addo Kaata Tetriku I- Supresu Chief, Nana Nartey Oplenu – Sawa Chief, Nana Abraham Kwabena Ayi – Koransang Chief, Nana Serwaah – Ohemaa of Oboutumpan, Nana Twumwaah – Ohemaa of Baabianiha, Assembly aspirants in the zone, Suhum NPP constituency executives and the NPP party functionaries.
Director of Communications NPP, Suhum